Have you taken your medication today?
The outside world can never hurt you

Of Blood and Iron(Closed)

Mona Tones
    Level 5
    Level 5

Of Blood and Iron(Closed)

Post by Mona Tones on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:30 am

"Okay miss, I don't know how good you are, but right now, you're the only one who's responded to my notice, so here the skinny.

The name's Trash, used to be a garbage burner back in the old 'one-thirteen', but these days, I've found theres a lot more useful things you can do with trash rather then burning it, especially when you can find the bits of treasure hiding between the garbage. I've made a damn good living out of sifting through junk in the shitholes out in the wastes, and finding the few valuable items that raiders and scavengers have left because they're too stupid to see the value in something that isn't a bullet or knife. However, sometimes that work can get mighty dangerous. Like last week, I was poking about this old robotics factory, and I spotted three items of interest, but before I could make sure the place was safe and ready to leave, I discovered a...well...security measure. The old robots in the place came back to life and started shooting, and I had to hightail it out of there! But those things, I think I know a buyer who would be VERY interested in them, but while they're trapped behind those tinheads, they aren't earning anyone profit!

Which is where you come in. I want you to go in, handle the robots, and bring back these three things. A special fusion battery, some blueprints, and a pristine bust of Princess Luna. I can't remember exactly what rooms they were in, but you should do okay.

Now, you seem like you can handle yourself, but this place was pretty packed. it would be suicide to go in alone! I'd advise you to grab a few friends. You come out of this alive, with all three items, it's 800 caps for you to split between you and your help. Any less then three, and you're only getting a fraction of that. Now take this here list, and get to work!"

----------------------

Mona took a sip from her glass, as she looked about the bar. The Rusty Cowbell was becoming a common sight for her whenever she stopped by Stableton, looking for work. While she didn't really drink much, the place was a treasure trove of rumours, work, and other things...but right now, it wasn't the rumours that Mona was interested in. She already had a job, but this one would require assistance, which she was hoping to find here. A place like this was an excellent place to find work, and for once, Mona was going to be the one hiring.

This job the old pony had offered promised to be lucrative, and robotics factories usually had a few nicknacks lying about that could be put to good use. But she would need help, something that was becoming more and more common for her in this career.
    Setting her drink back down as the green glow dissipated from around the glass, she surveyed the room, looking for anypony who looked trustworthy, and who may be willing to lend her a hoof.

(Okay folks, this is it, the start of the Merc Threads!

Players allowed in this thread:
    -Mona Tones
    -Zestari
    -Ashen Coat
    -Bakewell Tart

Happy Hunting!)

Last edited by Mona Tones on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ashen Coat
    Level 5
    Level 5

Re: Of Blood and Iron(Closed)

Post by Ashen Coat on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:20 am

Ashen Coat found himself sitting in a place he’d never thought he’d be sitting in, The Rusty Cowbell, the one and only bar in Stableton. Now, to some of the residents of Stableton, the unicorn’s presence was rather odd. They had never seen him before their since the town’s founding, and for good reason, he never drank, and he didn’t have any friends to just chat with. His presence was an oddity. There was a very good reason the unicorn was there however, he was homeless and out of a job.

o-0-O-0-o

Two days ago...

Ashen was working at his shop, working on fixing a client’s .45 Auto Submachine Gun. He had just returned the gun to its owner when a unicorn walked up to the shop, a large object bulging in his saddlebags.

“Why hello good sir, I’ve come to understand that around these parts you’re the one to go to when it comes rare, old-world pieces of magitek? I’ve heard around town that you’re interested in that sort of thing and have the caps.”

Ashen merely slowly nodded, wondering what the unicorn was getting at. He spoke with a ‘sophisticated’ accent that was obviously overdone and fake, leading Ashen to conclude that he was using it to make himself seem more distinguished.

“Well, I happen to have a rare piece of old-world magitek here in my saddlebags, one that I’m interested in selling to you. Now, if you would allow me to enter your place of business, I would like to show you this object. To keep it out of sight from any undesirables you see, wouldn’t want them to see this and try to go after you or me.”

Ashen said nothing as he considered his options. He could just turn the stallion down rather than take the risk of letting him into his store, but when it came to old-world technology, Ashen could get mighty curious. So, he decided to take the chance, but he placed his Bolt Rifle into the holster on his back just in case the stallion got violent.

Ashen opened the door and let the stallion inside, keeping an eye on him as he jerked his head towards a table in the back of the store. The stallion set his saddlebags down on the table and turned to Ashen. “Now you may want to sit down son, as you are about to witness one of the most incredible pieces of old-world arcana ever witnessed by pony eyes!”

Ashen remained silent, clearly not buying into the stallion’s words as the other unicorn slowly opened the bag, before lifting up out of the bag a sphere, the inside of which crackled with chaotic, flowing energies.

“Now son, this here is a genuine Psychokinetic Energy Sphere, designed to hold large quantities of energy that a unicorn and drain energy from to fuel his own magic, there by...” The stallion kept talking, laying out some magibabble schpeel about the orb’s purpose, while Ashen just stared at the thing, his eyes actually wide behind the goggles.

“You moron...” he slowly said in an uncharacteristic show of emotion as he started to back towards the door.

“What? Come now son, that’s a rather cruel thing to say to an old buck like me...”

The stallion just didn’t get it, what he held in his magic wasn’t some glowy whatsit with a purpose he made up.

What he was holding, was an undetonated Balefire Egg, and the outer casing was cracked.

Ashen wasn’t an expert on the things, or even very knowledgeable, but he could tell that the energies inside the egg were starting to react to the magic that was seeping through that crack, badly. The energies started to wave and shake in extremely violent patterns, and by this point Ashen had completely turned around and barreled out the door. The stallion just stared dumbly at Ashen as he galloped out.

“Now I wonder what’s got him all exciting about.” he muttered to himself as he looked at the egg, only now realizing that something was happening to the egg. “...Huh. Well, that’s we-”

The explosion was ear-splitting, everyone in Stableton heard it as the energies inside the egg were violently released, a mushroom-shaped plum of greenish fire rose into the sky as bits of metal and debris were flung around everywhere, getting embedded into walls, the ground, or just getting launched over the horizon. Ashen was barely a dozen feet away from the building when the egg went off, and the blast wave sent him flying into a nearby building, hard. The unicorn blacked out instantly after impacting the building.

o-0-O-0-o

Present...

Ashen had been taken to a hospital after the egg went off, and was treated for his injuries there and given a healthy dose of rad away. He explained to the authorities what happened, and given the unicorn’s emotionless demeanor and record of never having lied before they believed him, with no charges of any sort being filed. It helped that no-one else was hurt by the blast besides him, and that his own shop wasn't next to any other buildings, although the area would have to be cordoned off until the radiation dissipated. And he had to spend most of his savings, that he luckily had in his saddlebags, to pay for the medical bill. All he had left was some spare caps, and what he got from his trip into Filly.

So that’s how he found himself in his position, all his remaining possessions, including his thankfully-undamaged Bolt Rifle and enough spark batteries to keep it going for a while, on his person as he sat in a bar hoping to find some work of some sort. If he wanted to get somewhere else to live he’d need more money, and without his job he couldn’t get that money. So, here he was, sitting in a bar with a bolt rifle on his back, looking around for anyone who could be offering a job. Preferably sooner, rather than later.

HP: 215
    DT: 19
    AP: 34
    RM: 4
    Crit Threshold: 96
    Botch Threshold: 6
    Dodge Bonus: 18

Caps: 868

Defences
    Ranged: 75
    Close: 54
    Explosive: 57
    Passive: 45

Traits/Perks
    Trigger Discipline: (+5 to attack rolls (Ranged), +1 AP to guns/energy weapons)

Weapons
    Bolt Rifle
    DM: 50 AP COST: 12(+1) CRIT: x2 AMMO CAP: 6
    Bakewell Tart
    Level 11
    Level 11

Post by Bakewell Tart on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:34 am

Bakewell was pretty familiar with the insides of the Rusty Cowbell, though she couldn’t tell you its name and hadn’t knowingly drunk a drop of alcohol since shortly after the founding of Stableton. Back before the battle, the beige mare had often guided newcomers through the city as one of her many self-imposed punishments and the tavern had always been the leading tourist spot. Through the months she had watched down ponies drink themselves into decommission, had put quietly up with unfamiliar stallions that really deserved the full force of her back hooves in their face, and had even occasionally slipped caps into unconscious drunkard pockets in the vague hope that maybe, just maybe, the money would be spent on something other than another night’s liquor.

How many of the world’s problems came down to caps? Bakewell frowned down at the slightly irradiated water that she had just been completely overcharged for. The townsponies of Stableton were used to her by now. They knew how to take advantage of the fact that the cook would pay more without making a fuss and neither haggled nor complained about unfair prices. She took a sip and grimaced at the brief clicking from her pipbuck, mind idly wondering how many ponies in town just saw her as a set of prancing moneybags.

Bakewell was actually freshly back in town after traveling out out with a caravan, a job that a few months back the mare wouldn’t have even considered taking, and had not actually been back in her town for very long. The pony had carefully avoided going home. Not that she disliked home by any means, but… it was too much. Her little shack was too crowded. Her Radhog, Mr. Snuffles, could take up a place twice the size of the little house on his lonesome and every time Bakewell stepped into the house to find one of its residents struggling for enough room the earth mare couldn’t help but feel guilty and self-conscious. She needed a bigger place, but any decent dwelling took hordes of caps and Bakewell had soon discovered that her sparse funds were nowhere near enough money for the amazing dwellings her friends deserved. A short while back she had begun secretly saving caps and taking paying jobs under the guise of wanting to see the wastes in the hopes of getting a new home to surprise her friends with by Scrap’s birthday, but the date was fast approaching and it looked as though she would never make the deadline.

Her friends and family deserved the effort one hundred percent, though. So Bakewell was still going to work with all of her might, picking up any job not given by suspicious sultry stallions with bad manecuts in a last wind attempt to scrounge up enough caps.

…this water was terrible.
    Zestari
    Level 9
    Level 9

Post by Zestari on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:30 am

Zestari placed the final tin of healing salve into her saddlebags. Selling the product of her alchemy had become a decent way to earn caps. Especially more recently, as some of the prejudices against her had lessened. Decent caps, even if the sheer monotony of creating the salve was mind numbing and generally a waste of her time and skills that might otherwise be better employed elsewhere.

Putting the saddlebags on, with a weary yawn, she shut the door to the small house she shared with Bakewell behind her, taking a moment to make sure that her housemate’s pet swine didn’t try and sneak out with the zebra.

She was stagnating, she thought idly, trotting along the well-remembered streets. She should have moved on from Stableton, she was here to learn about Equestria and help ponies and experience new things. Well as the weight of her saddlebags reminded her, she was still helping ponies, but that didn’t address her other concerns.

Up until a few months ago she had been roaming the land, lending a helping hoof where she could and it was accepted. Then she had settled in Stableton, and although she had learned plenty and made many wonderful friends, there was a thought that she could, and should, be doing more.

Shaking herself from her meandering thoughts, she paused to wave at Upper Crust, a somewhat snooty pony she didn’t know well and with a sense of discomfort realised she had reached her destination.

She looked up at the sign, The Rusty Cowbell. A place she held towards the bottom of ‘places she liked’. There were several reasons she disliked the place. It often attracted a somewhat seedier type of patron, and Zestari didn’t imbibe alcohol. If it wasn’t the smell of stale drink and unwashed ponies, then it was the inebriated patrons who felt that it was their equestrian damned right to tell the zebra how all the ills of Equestria were somehow her fault, simply because she was a zebra.

On the other hoof, it was a well-recognised landmark in Stableton and a popular meeting place. It was also a good place for those looking for work with caravans or as mercenaries, and more importantly the destination for the drop off of her delivery.

Pushing open the door and making a somewhat direct beeline for the bar, she tried to catch the eye of the bartender and with a deft movement placed her delivery of alchemical goods on the counter.
    Concluding her business quickly and trying to draw as little attention as possible. She sighed and turned to leave, but not before catching a familiar face out of the corner of her eye. She spotted a somewhat familiar earth pony housemate. Tilting her head in curiosity at why Bakewell would be here, she began to make her way towards the mare. She hadn’t realised that Bakewell had arrived back in Stableton, and as she got closer, Zestari wracked her mind trying to remember exactly what Bakewell had been out of Stableton with.

“You know that water would be better with tea, don’t you?” She smiled at Bakewell.

HP: 223
    DT: 25
    AP: 40
    RM: 5
    Crit Threshold: 94
    Botch Threshold: 4
    Dodge: 24
    S 5 – P 5 – E 4 – C 5 – I 8 – A 8 – L 7

Defences
    Ranged: 60
    Close: 74
    Explosive: 55
    Passive: 48

Weapons
    10mm pistol – Hit: 12 – Damage: 22 – Crit: ×2 – AP: 5 – Cap: 12
    .45 pistol – Hit: 12 – Damage: 29 – Crit: ×2 – AP: 8 – Cap: 7
    Unarmed – Hit: 26 – Damage: ? – Crit: ×2 – AP: 6
    Knife – Hit: 7 – Damage: ? – Crit: ×2 – AP: 4

Perks/Traits
    Perk name: Iron hoof +10 unarmed damage
    Perk name: Prancing Shadow
    Perk name: Field Medic Half AP cost to bandage

Mona Tones
    Level 5
    Level 5

Post by Mona Tones on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Surveying the surroundings, Mona couldn't help but notice the down on his luck looking Unicorn, even if his expression seemed perfectly neutral. The fire damages on his outfit were the main givaway, seeming recent, and the fact that he had nothing in front of him meant that he probably wasn't there to drink, but to find work.

However, before she could approach, she heard a slightly familiar voice nearby. Turning to look, she saw two faces that she hadn't seen for a while. A Earth Pony and Zebra. Specifically, two that she and others had ended up getting trapped together with within several game simulations.

Three potential teammates, even split of 200 caps each. Not to mention two that I've worked with before. This may just be my lucky day...

The Zebra and Earth Pony seemed to be starting up a discussion, so Mona decided to approach the Unicorn first. She slipped off her seat neatly, and placed a few caps on the counter, before trotting over.

"No drink. I take it you are not here for the alcohol, correct?"
    Ashen Coat
    Level 5
    Level 5

Post by Ashen Coat on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Ashen wasn't particularly apt at the 'Looking for a job' thing. It's not something he'd ever had to do before, all the jobs he had taken in the past were things he found, side-jobs for his main one which was his main source of income. Actively looking for work is something he never had to do before, even before he got the shop. At least then he simply did what everypony else was doing, building Stableton.

Logically the unicorn knew what he had to do, look for someone who looked like he was there for business. Someone who was looking for someone to do something for him or her. Sadly, for all of Ashen's perceptiveness, he wasn't experienced enough with this sort of thing to notice any of the tells or cues that would indicate someone who had a job, so he mostly just sat there at the table, eyes hidden by solid-black goggles looking around the room for something, anything.

However, while he couldn't find work himself, it seemed providence had struck and work may have found him. His decision to bring his Bolt Rifle in the hope that someone would think he was looking for work and try to gain his services may have paid off, a mare was approaching him, one with the look of a mercenary about her. Another pony may have noticed the mare's beauty, but it was a quality not important or even noteworthy in Ashen's eyes.

"No drink. I take it you are not here for the alcohol, correct?" she asked him. A part of him noted that her voice was much like his, flat and emotionless, which was curious. Most ponies were not like him in that respect.

"You are correct." he replied, voice carrying it's own signature flatness. "I am looking for work, a job of some sort." He didn't directly ask if this mare had any work, he knew that if she did she would bring it up herself.

Defences

Traits/Perks

Weapons
    Bolt Rifle
    Bakewell Tart
    Level 11
    Level 11

Post by Bakewell Tart on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:45 pm

Bakewell jumped from her seat in a manner akin to a small filly caught guilty of sneaking into the kitchen past bedtime in hopes of sticking her little hoofsies into the cookie jar only for her mother to be around the corner waiting.

“Oh, Zestari! You, uh, scared me.” She claimed with a wide grin intended to hide her nervousness. Bakewell knew that, in truth, Zestari probably didn’t care about what reasons the earth pony had for being in the tavern. But the fact that she had avoided going home and letting anypony know she was okay first made her feel guilty nonetheless. This guilt was doubled because a treacherous little part of Bake had been considering leaving town again without stopping by home at all. Besides, Bakewell had been secretly frightened of losing Zestari on and off for a while now and what more surefire of a way to lose friends than to look like you were avoiding their company?

“Yes, of course!” The mare agreed, scooting over to allow her zebra friend room to join her. Zestari’s tea was probably the only thing capable of making this disgusting water an enjoyable substance, as opposed to one she kept regretfully drinking so that her caps wouldn’t have sacrificed themselves for naught.

“Sorry for not stopping by the house.” Bake apologized. “Has everything been okay? Mr. Snuffles hasn’t been causing you any issues while I was out? No mean ponies trying to ruin your day?”
    Mona Tones
    Level 5
    Level 5

Post by Mona Tones on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:44 am

Mona couldn't help but notice the similar emotionless voice coming from this Unicorn. For a moment, she wondered if he was mocking her, but decided not to speak anything of it. Perhaps he just preferred to hide his emotions...it would be almost impossible to find someone with the same disorder she had, after all...
    For now however, rather then wonder about this, she got to business.

"Considering that rifle, I imagine you are no stranger to combat. If you're not opposed to fighting robots, I believe I could have a job offer for you.

I've been asked to salvage several items of value from a nearby robotics facility. However, I've been told the defenses there are quite heavy, and that I will need a small team to manage this job. This job pays 800 caps which will be divided evenly you, me, and any other members of the group. Any extra salvage we may find can be divided up at the end of the job."

With this, Mona gave a light glance over at the Earth Pony and Zebra also at the bar, before turning back to Ashen.

"I already have an idea of two other potential team members to invite, so with luck, we'll be able to leave within the hour. Are you interested?"
    Ashen Coat
    Level 5
    Level 5

Post by Ashen Coat on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:38 am

Ashen was silent as the mare laid down her offer, and it was a fairly tempting one. The pay wouldn't be terrific, 200 caps with two others that may join their group, the Earth Pony Bakewell Tart from 113 and Zestari the Zebra from the Fillydelphia Mission, unless one died. And that's not something Ashen was counting on. No, what interested him the most was the chance into an, apparently somewhat operation, robotics factory. The amount of possible salvage there was tremendous, and such a place he couldn't tackle alone, he learned that the hard way months ago when he attempted just that and nearly got killed for his efforts. And now, his Bolt Rifle should have no problem punching through robot plating.

Not only that, Ashen wasn't a slouch when it came to working with robots, in fact he was rather good at it. Such a skill would be invaluable in a place like that.

With any luck, if they could clear out or shut down most of the robots, Ashen could make repeated trips to the factory for more salvage. For the right buyer, the machinery and computer equipment could go for a high price, and they fell within his own interests as well. He would have to work fast though, before others realized the factory was free pickings.

Taking that all into account, which took Ashen a matter of moments after the mare was finished, the unicorn's decision was clear.

"I find your offer acceptable, I will assist you with your task." he said as he stood up, obscured eyes glancing over towards Bakewell Tart and Zestari. Whether they would accept would be the remaining question. "One thing before we continue, it would be helpful to know your name." he stated.

Last edited by Ashen Coat on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Defences

Traits/Perks

Weapons
    Bolt Rifle
    Zestari
    Level 9
    Level 9

Post by Zestari on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:12 am

Zestari laughed as Bakewell jumped in surprise, it certainly must have been a surprise for the poor earth pony to have her housemate suddenly approach her in one of the most unlikely of meeting places.

She moved around the table and sat next to Bakewell, “Unfortunately I didn’t bring any tea with me. I don’t always carry tea just in case I stumble across ponies I know.” She chuckled again, before looking at Bakewell’s water. She reached out with a hoof and drew it closer, and made a face, “Eww, is that mud or water,” she clicked her tongue before looking critically at Bakewell. “You didn’t actually pay for this did you?”

She made to get up. “I could go and ask for a replacement if you’d like. Threaten the bartender with some voodoo or something.” She rolled her eyes at her own threat.

She paused in a half-sitting, half-standing position and shrugged at Bakewell’s apology, “It’s fine, you can come home when you please. Apart from your porcine friend trying to get into the back room to eat my alchemy supplies, things are fine. And I’m a zebra, ponies trying to ruin my day comes with the territory.” She chuckled again, “Now pass me that water. I’ll see if I can get it replaced with something resembling water and not sludge.”

Defences

Weapons

Perks/Traits

Bakewell Tart
    Level 11
    Level 11

Post by Bakewell Tart on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:45 am

“What a shame. It would have really hit the spot.” Bakewell chuckled back. She hadn’t really expected that her zebra friend would have tea on her person, but the thought was a nice one.

Bakewell withered slightly under Zestari’s suddenly critical gaze. “I did…” she muttered, voice lowering even more before also giving a barely audible “…like two or three times the price of his alcohol.”

When Zestari made to get up, Bakewell quickly copied the Zebra’s action. “No, no. That’s okay. It’s not that bad.” She insisted, taking a huge gulp of the water, regretting her action but still managing to get the stuff down. “See?” She grinned, clutching the water protectively as though it were the most important thing in the world. “Delicious! You shouldn’t threaten the bartender anyway; somepony might get defensive and it would make a scene. I wouldn’t want the sales of your…” Bakewell moved a hoof away from the drink long enough to wave it in in a vague circlular motion as she tried to think of a good word to describe Zestari’s work that her feeble earth pony mind barely understood “…stuff. Besides, I knew what I was getting into. You bought some of this when we first met, remember?”
    Mona Tones
    Level 5
    Level 5

Post by Mona Tones on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:30 pm

"Mona Tones."

A short, simple reply to the Unicorn, Mona then turned around to look at the other two potential teammates. She did hope they would accept the offer, it was alot easier working besides ponies you knew and trusted, rather then random pub-goers (though this one stranger she hired did seem rather professional...).

Slowly, she then trotted over to the two, as she softly cleared her throat to get their attention.

"I apoligize for interrupting you two, But I have a question. Would either of you be interested in a job?"

She asked. While she couldn't really remember their names (Mona had never been good at recalling such things), she did hope they proved to have a better memory then her. If they recognized her, it might help Mona's chances of getting them to join this mission.
    Zestari
    Level 9
    Level 9

Post by Zestari on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:28 am

Zestari made a face when Bakewell took a mouthful. “I did buy some when we first met, but at the time I didn’t know any better, and regret it to this day.” She looked over towards the bartender. “I doubt that getting cleaner water would have any effect upon my sales…” she paused and titled her head, “It might even help them. Ponies are very odd around here.”

She sat down again and sighed. “I just don’t understand why you let ponies do these sorts of things to you. Hay, I still don’t understand why you refuse to accept me paying rent or something for letting me stay in your house. Especially seeing as I spend more time there than you.” She smiled slightly and dug at the table with a hoof.

"I apologise for interrupting you two, But I have a question. Would either of you be interested in a job?"

Zestari looked over to see Mona. She had spent some time with the elegant mare, in the underwater city and that bizarre computer simulation, so she was at least on friendly terms.

“Mona,” she smiled widely, “Nice to see you in someplace other than deadly.” She chuckled at her own awful joke, “What sort of job are you talking about?” She looked at Bake with a shrug, not sure if the earth pony was actually interested, but figured it couldn’t hurt to hear Mona out.

Defences

Weapons

Perks/Traits

Mona Tones
    Level 5
    Level 5

Post by Mona Tones on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:53 am

Mona wouldn't even bat an eyelash at the joke, but considering her usual demeanor, that wasn't that surprising. She continued speaking the second Zes asked for details.

"Scavenging work. I've been hired to locate three items of value in an old robotics facility. The job pays 200 caps for both of you, as well as a share of the salvage from whatever we find that isn't part of the checklist."
    Bakewell Tart
    Level 11
    Level 11

Post by Bakewell Tart on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:51 am

Bakewell wasn’t sure how to explain her situation to Zestari. How could she go about telling her striped friend that having someone else around in the evenings to talk to was more than enough rent, or that the simple knowledge that her home was being lived in instead of just being a bed surrounded by crates was a thought that seldom failed to brighten the earth pony’s mood? Similarly, how could she explain why she let the bartender overcharge her for a container of absolute drek?

Luckily, Bakewell didn’t have to explain any of these things, as a unicorn mare walked up to the two. The beige earth pony didn’t remember Mona’s name, but the face was definitely familiar and trustworthy. This pony had been on the sinking ship Bakewell had gotten married on. She could remember the calm unicorn giving directions before the ship went under. They had also worked together in one of those simulation thingys, but Bakewell refused to think on that topic more than absolutely necessary because it reminded her of the mare’s first simulation. Such a horrible, horrible thing.

Upon hearing the offer, Bakewell responded to Zestari’s shrug with one of her own. The caps, while not registering as a spectacular amount, were existent.

“What kind of items would we be locating, if you don’t mind me asking?” the cook questioned. If Zestari went, Bakewell would most certainly tag along. She just wanted to make sure they weren’t somehow providing slavers with slave collars or anything monstrous like that.
    Mona Tones
    Level 5
    Level 5

Post by Mona Tones on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:59 am

"The items in question are somewhat unique. A set of blueprints, a particular fusion battery, and a bust of princess Luna. The one who hired me is a salvager who lives here in Stableton. I believe his name was 'Trash'."

Mona stated, not sure if the name would actually be familar to anyone.

"He claims he knows buyers for the items, and he's compensating us for them. He only wants those particular pieces though. Anything else is ours to divide."
    Zestari
    Level 9
    Level 9

Post by Zestari on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Zestari shifted her eyes from Mona, to Bakewell and then back to Mona again as details about the job were brought to light. Although the reward wasn’t great, she was very interested and nodded her enthusiasm. Anything to get herself out of Stableton.

As Mona listed the items to reclaim for the reward, Zestari looked askance, “Those seem like an odd selection of items, how does… Trash,” She shook her head, the name not ringing any bells, “know they exist in this building we’re investigating?”

Defences

Weapons

Perks/Traits

Mona Tones
    Level 5
    Level 5

Post by Mona Tones on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:06 pm

"Because he already scouted the facility for valuable salvage. The Only reason he needs us is because he tripped a security mechanism before he could actually collect them. The reason we need a group, is because there's quite likely going to be Robots scouting the premises, as well as Turrets."

Mona had to admit, she wasn't sure how she felt about all these questions. She didn't like talking much to begin with, for obvious reasons. Still she could understand why they would want all the details.

"So, are you two interested? I already have the final party member ready to go, so if you are, we can leave within the hour."

With that, she gave a light gesture to Ashen behind her, pointing him out as her other member.
    Zestari
    Level 9
    Level 9

Post by Zestari on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:11 am

Zestari nodded, “scouted the building first, seems obvious, I guess.” She drew a breath, "haven’t fought too many robots, but hopefully we’ll be okay.”

Zestari shrugged, “Sure, I’m interested. You’ll have to give me time to go and get my equipment from home, but I should be ready in less than an hour.” She followed Mona’s outstretched hoof and spotted Ashen across the other side of the room. She smiled and waved enthusiastically in his direction. “Ashen! Good choice, Mona. He’s quiet but reliable. Inscrutable sometimes, patient, doesn’t talk a lot.” She placed her hoof on her chin. “He’s a good choice to bring along.” She waved again, hoping to catch his attention.

She turned back to Bakewell, “Oh, are you coming along too?”

Defences

Weapons

Perks/Traits

Bakewell Tart
    Level 11
    Level 11

Post by Bakewell Tart on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:25 am

Bakewell looked beyond Mona at Ashen Coat when the female unicorn gestured to him. She smiled uneasily at Ashen, but didn’t wave or anything because the mare didn’t really know what kind of a greeting he would find most suitable. Bakewell knew that the white buck had gotten out of the stable, but the two never really met each other afterwards. The closest to speaking they had ever gotten after the genocide was when Ashen silently repaired guns that Bakewell then delivered to the various ponies of Stableton back when the slavers attacked. The mare couldn’t recall exchanging a single word to him at the time.

“Huh?” Bakewell asked as Zestari broke the earth pony from her thoughts. “Oh, Sure!” She agreed. “I should probably go home and pick u- no, wait. I’ve got all my important stuff with me already in my saddlebags. Guess I’m ready whenever everyone else is, miss unicorn. My name’s Bakewell, by the by.”
    Ashen Coat
    Level 5
    Level 5

Post by Ashen Coat on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:35 pm

Ashen silently and passively watched as 'Mona Tones', a name that a part of Ashen couldn't help but note the appropriateness of, negotiated with Bakewell Tart and Zestari. From what he could hear, the two had agreed to come along, and judging by Zestari's wave and Bakewell Tart's, rather uneasy, smile, the two recognized him.

Ashen, in return, simply gave them a short nod. If either were expecting more...Well, they didn't really know Ashen then. Which may very well be the case for Bakewell Tart...

But regardless, Ashen remained in his seat and waited from a word form Mona Tones that they would be leaving. The unicorn himself was already all prepared, literally carrying all his worldly possessions, and could leave at any time.

Defences

Traits/Perks

Weapons
    Bolt Rifle
    Mona Tones
    Level 5
    Level 5

Post by Mona Tones on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:07 am

Mona gave a nod, it looked like she had a team!

"Very well then, we'll meet up near the entrance to Stableton, once we are all completely prepared. I look forward to working with you all."

She stated, the monotone making it almost impossible if she was being genuine about that last comment, but Zes and Bakewell could probably assume that she was, having experienced Mona's tone of speech before.

With that, she gave a nod to the group, and headed out of the bar.

------------

Giving her 10mm Pistol another quick lookover, Mona holstered the side-arm, keeping it ready for quick use. It had become a routine of hers to check all of her guns before and during a mission, to make sure they were okay and operational. Not that such behavior for a fighter in the wastes was odd...sand and dirt had a way of sneaking into a weapon any moment, and considering the age of most firearms in the wastes, even a speck in the wrong place could be devestating to a weapons function...

Silently, she watched and waited for the other group members to arrive.

(Okay, now before we get started with our semi-grand adventure, I feel I should mention two things.

Feel free to explore every nook and cranny of the adventure. here is loot to find, and I may not be so obvious in telling you what could be important, and what may not. If you want to find everything, look through draws, hack terminals, pick locks. everything!

Second, this is just as much a social thread as an adventure one, feel free to ask questions of each other. Be it about backstory, behavior, comments, criticisms, anything, if you feel your character would do so. Hopefully, by the end of this, our characters can not only walk away as partners, but also new friends.

Now, have fun, and keep an eye out...
    )
    Zestari
    Level 9
    Level 9

Post by Zestari on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:25 am

Zestari was happy that Ashen had noticed her, and nodding at Mona, with a smile Zestari stood up. “Okay, I’ll see you there shortly.” She looked towards Bakewell, “I’ll feed your pet for you, too.”

She turned and trotted out of the tavern, happy to return to the cleaner air and better light of outside and quickly made her way back to her home. Once there, she quickly packed and prepared, making sure to get her .45 pistol and combat barding. She also packed some selected alchemy supplies in the event that something should go wrong and after feeding Bakewell’s radhog shut the door and made her way to the entrance of Stableton. She sincerely hoped that the adventure would help her get out of her funk.

Arriving at the exit with only a few minutes to spare, Zestari smiled.

“I’m ready to go.”

Defences

Weapons

Perks/Traits

Bakewell Tart
    Level 11
    Level 11

Post by Bakewell Tart on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:34 pm

…Well, Ashen had acknowledged her kinda sorta. The earth pony hadn’t particularly tagged him for the silent type, though to be fair he hadn’t said much when preparing for the battle either. She had just chalked it up to stress. Had he been stressed before the battle? Bakewell sure had.

Bakewell decided against trying to make further conversation beyond a simple “Thanks!” to her zebra friend for feeding Snuffles. The cook didn’t want to hold Zestari up any further and was not quite familiar enough with Mona to think of a good, nonpersonal topic. That left Ashen, a communication choice Bakewell quickly dismissed. She had traveled with Kestrel before, and mentally applied knowledge of him to the goggled buck; if a pony was so super serious that they wouldn’t even say hi beyond simply nodding, there was a good chance they didn’t enjoy conversation.

------

Bakewell went straight from the tavern to the town entrance; sitting within sight of the meeting spot and checking her equipment. Her combat armor and NLR helm rested upon her skin, a quick glance showed the mare that her trench knife was properly holstered within an easily graspable distance and that her 10mm pistol sat comfortably within her saddlebags, the gun was well maintained on the outside even if Bakewell had no idea how take care of the thing’s insides. She didn’t even really know how to use the gun but the firearm had still managed to become a sort of good luck charm to the mare; traveling with her through thick and thin even when it hadn’t been in her own ownership. The last pieces of important equipment were her electric hooves, and she marked them off of her mental checklist with satisfaction as she slid the weapons into their proper place on her fore hooves.

She was ready.
    Ashen Coat
    Level 5
    Level 5

Post by Ashen Coat on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:23 pm

Ashen Coat was quick to leave the tavern once the group was established, he had nothing to prepare nor anything to gather, and thus was able to head straight to the the entrance of Stableton. Bakewell was apparently in a similar position, as she too headed straight there. Ashen of course said nothing to the mare, as there was nothing to say.

When Ashen arrived, he sat down by the gates, saying nothing, and unholstered his Bolt Rifle. His primary weapon had been, luckily enough, the only weapon* of his that survived the balefire egg without significant damage. What damaged had been inflicted was repaired, and the weapon has been checked and tested several times before today. But, it was always a good idea to make sure.

Once Ashen was finished with his one last check on the rifle, he reholstered it and waited for Zestari to arrive so that they could set out.

*Insurance against any weapons gained in Stalliongrad.

Defences

Traits/Perks

Weapons
    Bolt Rifle

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:43 am