Fallout : Equestria

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Thank You, Overmare!
Seek the sunshine of friendship
Acheive Perfection
Safety First
Stable 113 Security - We're here to help
Exercise Regularly
Procreation is your civic duty!
Cleanliness is Celestianess
Equestria lives on... In You!
We're all in this together
Hard work is happy work
Have you taken your medication today?
The outside world can never hurt you

+4
Kira
Bakewell Tart
Kestrel
World Warden
8 posters

Slaving Away (Group 1) [Closed] [Finished]

Kestrel
    Kestrel
    Level 18
    Level 18

Slaving Away (Group 1) [Closed] [Finished] - Page 17 Empty Re: Slaving Away (Group 1) [Closed] [Finished]

Post by Kestrel Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Kestrel stared at the buck before him as he slowly, nervously, laid down what was to happen. So, he was going through with it after all. Had Kestrel been anyone else, he might have been impressed by the show of bravery.

He wasn't however.

For the longest time, Kestrel just stood there. Staring silently at the pony before him. Was he considering attacking? Escape? Evasion? Murder? It was anyponies guess, at least until he opened his beak.

"Right now my father needs his medicine. I will be going to get it first thing tomorrow morning. When he is safe and well I will cooperate." Kestrel said his voice even and calm.

"However, if before then you try and stop me from seeing him, getting that medicine, or otherwise threaten his safety in ANY way...I will kill you and anyone else that gets in my way. Understand?" the griffon finished his tone final and cold. Any that knew him would know that each and every word was true.
    Galactic Dash
    Galactic Dash
    Level 10
    Level 10

Slaving Away (Group 1) [Closed] [Finished] - Page 17 Empty Re: Slaving Away (Group 1) [Closed] [Finished]

Post by Galactic Dash Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:35 pm

As Kestrel and Lightning emerged from the store. Dash went back on what was more or less full alert. He backed off a bit, gaining distance which would ultimately be his ally in any sort of combat situation, and didn't let himself betray any emotions. Lightning was one of Dash's best friends, but the younger Pegasi's respect and trust in the griffon was going to have to be his own risk. The best Dash knew he could do in the situation, should Kestrel attack, would be to kill him as fast as he possibly could, or getting the griffon to retreat. Not that Dash wanted to kill him. Infact, all he really wanted was to understand why this fascination with death was so prevalent. All somepony had to do to stay on Dash's good side was to let him do what he needed to do and leave him well enough alone, and then all he would want in return would be his family, friends and to see new sights.

Dash had been wronged, yes, and he intended to seek justice, but he didn't continue the endless, pointless cycle of death that others seemed so embellished in. It was asinine, and it was below him. The sooner beings like Kestrel understood that. Perhaps the world could get back to being a better place. And to start, Dash wanted to give that chance to Kestrel. But now while he threatened him and his friends with pointless, arrogant violence.

Trust was truly a failure point for Kestrel as well. If he truly was as wise as he seemed to think he was, he'd already know this about Dash and Lightning, but no. No trust here. The arrogant fool just continued the cycle he was stuck in.
    Lightning Flash
    Lightning Flash
    Level 11
    Level 11

Post by Lightning Flash Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:39 pm

Lightning didn't change his expression when Kestrel spoke. Internally, he was getting nervous. Externally, he kept a straight face. Was this going to be the end for him? Was it over for himself? Is Dash going to be caught in the crossfire? How far was he willing to go to bring justice? What is justice really? Finally, the griffon made his terms and conditions clear. The pegasus knew there was nothing he could do to stop Kes if this is what he wanted to do. And the only way to go through with this is trust him (sadly) and give him what he wants in order to get what he wanted. "Alright. Get your medicine and see your father. But I have to sentence you. I will be nearby..."
    Kestrel
    Kestrel
    Level 18
    Level 18

Post by Kestrel Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Kestrel nodded silently to the pegasus before speaking up one last time. "Good. I'll be at my camp when the time comes." he said before silently moving off towards the local tavern. The deal was made, and as fate would have it more blood hadn't been necessary for it to be possible. A rare, if welcome, change.

As Kestrel wandered down the streets of Stableton he let his mind mull over the words of the mare earlier today, of his actions, of the blood and pain he'd felt and shared. Kestrel had long since been used to the abuse of these wastes, of others opinions, of their misunderstanding.

Yet her words had cut right to the bone.

He was pulled from his wandering by the sounds of the tavern before him. Without hesitation he pushed past the door and into the tavern proper, the Barkeep offered his usual nodded greeting, the others had their various reactions.

Fear, surprise, anger, distrust. Any emotion or thought one could name was probably displayed somewhere on the faces of the ponies in the Tavern right now. As always Kestrel just pushed right on through until he got to room number 3.

He almost seemed hesitant as he moved inside, the dim light of the only lamp there barely illuminating the slumbering form of the once mighty griffon on the bed.

Quietly as he could Kestrel slid over to sit next to his father, looking over the once proud creature he loved so dearly. Here it was, the last thing Kestrel could honestly say survived his past. The only remaining member of his family...the only thing he had left.

As he looked down at his father the words of Bakewell came crashing back onto him. "I hope they die within the week." she'd said. Looking down at the one he'd sacrificed so much for...the griffon couldn't help but want to break something. To try and explain that he was right and she was wrong...but what could he do.

Everypony and Griffon had their art, and Kestrel's was War. In all its horror and all its fury. He fought, he killed, crushed, burned, broke, rended, and tore. He was a weapon, well honed and keen.

And without the griffon on the bed before him...nothing more than another mindless killing machine.

The realization set Kestrels guts to twisting themselves. No dammit! He was not just some raider, he was proud, he was, he was...lying to himself.

He had no pride, no duty, no honor. All Kestrel had was laying in a bed before him, sleeping and weak, fading like so many things before.

Looking down as his talons, still covered in blood and gore, Kestrel couldn't help but wonder, what was all the strength, all the skill, all the power and fame and fortune he'd earned over the past three years really worth if it couldn't even save the only one he cared about?

Bah, what did she know. Stupid fucking stable pony. What would she have done in this scenario? Huh? Would she have fought to try and save the one she cared about? What did she know of suffering and pain? Did she really think that ponies out here in the wastes just 'gave' out caps?

She didn't know what he went through. She didn't know what he'd done, how many times he'd suffered just so his father could have one second of comfort. She didn't know what it was like, she didn't know how it felt to be Kes. She was nothing, just some stupid pony with her head in the stable waiting for things to get better.

The angry thoughts were broken as a groan of discomfort filled the air. Kestrels eyes shot up, locking on the one that'd made it. His father was stirring, twitch and moving in his sleep. Without hesitation Kestrel moved up closer, placing a talon on the other griffons shoulder. He seemed to calm at that, as if the touch reassured him in some way. The sicking feel of moving skin was pushed aside as Kestrel reached over and pulled his father into a weak hug; careful not to wake him.

The older griffon was like a doll in Kestrels arms, hanging limp and lax as his son held him close. The younger griffon began to whisper promises as he held his father close, talons holding onto him as if he were a life preserver on an open sea, his eyes hardening up again; the thoughts from before being banished behind the mental wall he'd built so very long ago.

Who cared what some mare from a stable thought. His cause was just, and his motives true. No matter what happened, as long as his father was alive and safe it was worth it.

If he had to burn every bridge, sacrifice any hope of personal comfort or happiness, lose any hope of being accepted or liked, and suffer a thousand other scars it would be worth it.

Anything, as long as he did not fail like he had so long ago.
    Lightning Flash
    Lightning Flash
    Level 11
    Level 11

Post by Lightning Flash Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:35 pm

Lightning simply let out a long sigh after Kestrel left. Looks like he'll fly up to Kes' camp when it was time to arrest him. For now though, he had other business to take care of. The blue pegasus turned to Dash and just shook his head a little. "What a shitty day for all of us today." Lightning rarely swore but this time, he just felt that he had too. There was so much emotion swirling in his head and in his heart that he just didn't know how to express it in any other way. "Dash, I'm going to go meet with the defense force, increase patrols near and around the town. You already did and had been through a lot today...why don't you go home and rest? If you see Spectrum, just tell her I'm working late."
    Galactic Dash
    Galactic Dash
    Level 10
    Level 10

Post by Galactic Dash Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Dash looked over to Lightning when he said that he should go home an rest. Although the couch in Lightning's living room called out to him for the aching bones in his legs and in all the wounds he had recieved; He was past the point of wanting to just rest. He wanted to do something to keep the feeling, that he was useful and powerful, alive. He finally shook his head, "Nah... I'm fine. It'd be good for me to be there anyways. Better that the newer recruits don't think you're giving me special treatment or anything." He looked over his armor, which was naturally scuffed and dented from the abuse it had taken over the course of the battle they had fought, "Besides, I look badass right now." he said with a smirk, and opened one wing, offering Lightning a wing-five.
    Lightning Flash
    Lightning Flash
    Level 11
    Level 11

Post by Lightning Flash Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Lightning simply smiled at Dash when he spoke and made his decision to stay. Loyal to the end. That was a deputy he knew he could count on. Besides, the defense force wasn't that powerful anyways and Lightning could use a strong pegasus with him. With a laugh at Dash's last comment, he opened up his own wing and gave the black stallion a wing-five, "Alright, fine. We'll go talk to the defense force together then."
    Game Warden
    Game Warden
    Master of the Universe

Post by Game Warden Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:35 am

Finale

Things in Stableton continued much as they always did. A few of the slaves settled in town, but most returned to their homes and their trade routes.

The defence force took Flash’s advisements with no measure of fuss, stepping up patrols around the town’s outskirts. The increased military bustle caused a little concern through the townsfolk, but they were generally thankful for the increased safety.

After Kestrel’s lenient sentence for cold-blooded murder, murmurings of corruption and favouritism in the sheriff’s office spread through the town like a cold shiver. The townsfolk’s trust and confidence in the sheriff’s office shaken, the deference they once showed to Flash and his deputies was now a little duller, a little warier.

Now cleared of the slaver menace, the alternate route to the fledgling Stableton allowed for easier flow of trade. The news of the slave camp’s removal helped reassure the citizens that things were being set right after the dreadful attack by the Surgeon General.

-----------------------------------

So here we are at the end, after 47,000 GW words between the two SA’s, about 10 NPC deaths, the rise of a possible recurring villain. I hope it was enjoyable even if things did slow down a bit during the last month or so.

One thing I set out to achieve with both SA’s was that even a seemingly simple job can have complexity and dilemmas. I also intended for there to be more than one way for the threads to be resolved. In fact, at one point it looked very much like Komodo was going to win. Things looked so grim for you lot that we wrote some stuff in preparation: the PCs were going to come to all chained up in Komodo’s torture basement, at which point stuff would happen. Stuff like poetry.

Mad Komodo drops some beats at Kestrel:
    “Don’t make me laugh! To think I’d balk at such hollow words, such empty talk. I have no fear for one like you, who holds his rage above his crew. You’re just a beast by any measure, the antithesis of all you treasure. Along your so-called righteous path, you leave behind a gruesome wake; with all you’ve outlived in your wrath, I bet you thought you’d never break. But don’t despair; you’re not a slave: you’d thrash and squawk and misbehave. Instead, now that you’re trapped and bound, if you’ve a heart... it will be found.”

Mad Komodo drops some rhymes at Bake (keep in mind that this was written before Bake beat the everloving snot out of the poor psychopath):
    “The wasteland’s full of scum and slime. I never thought I’d get to meet a creature with a soul sublime; it truly is an honest treat. A pony strong and true as stone, with noble heart and selfless creed! Perhaps I’ll cut you to the bone to see the colour that you bleed.”

P.S. Oh yeah, did anyone see the tiny Zesty in Spur Legs' portrait picture in the first post? :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 pm